Monday, February 18, 2013

Hodge Podge, Modge Podge...a DIY reveal!

I {HEART} STORAGE SPACE.

And for some reason, there never seems to be enough for all my mounds of junk to put everything away (especially in my kitchen).

So the mister and I decided we needed a small cabinet.

Enter my great Goodwill score, $10, baby.


Admittedly, not in the most stellar shape, but hey, for $10...and it's very solid and the dimensions were dang near perfect!

I decided to try my hand at Modge Podge because all the cool kids are doing it, and let's face it, I was totally not getting those ridiculous gouges out of the top anyways (c;

So inspiration ensued (along with tutorial youtube vids. Yes, I'm *that* person.)



This last one was my favorite from Miss Courtney over at A Thoughtful Place...and I figured, hey, if *she* thought it was a good idea...(c:

I had some leftover wrapping paper from Christmas that I L-O-V-E-D and figured I wouldn't get completely sick of it too quick. You can't really tell that well, but they're cute little gold dots...


And let me just say, it *DID NOT* turn out perfect...that size of surface + lack of patience = lots of bubbles and wrinkles. And definitely listen to the tutorials when they say coat the surface *AND* the paper (mistake numero dos for me), it will definitely work out and adhere better that way.

However, flaws and pigheadedness aside, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out:



Not bad for less than $20 on the whole project, no?

Perfect??? Naw, let's not get carried away...

Functional? You betcha, and further proof that spray paint fixes *EVERYTHING*.

Have you ever tried this??? Do you have any brilliant tips for the when-and-if I ever attempt this again???

And P.S. - Happy President's Day to all my American friends!!! And curses that it means the kiddos are out of school (c;

13 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

that was rough from the start, but look at you- you made it beautiful!!!

Leanne said...

Great little transformation! I just love the potential that you saw the piece had!

designstiles said...

Whoa, what a steal AND a great DIY. I haven't hodgepodged in years. I may need to get my hands dirty again.

Shelley {Crazy Wonderful} said...

Me likey!!! Spray paint does fix everything. I'm convinced it has super powers. I'm going to be spraying it over my butt and thighs just see what happens.

Sara Mueller said...

I love it Aubrey! Great job!

Leslie said...

I love it! You did an awesome job. :)

Amy Fashion Blog said...

love it

emily said...

What a difference! I love the fun pattern you chose for the top!

natasha {schue love} said...

Oh I LOOOVE the top! So pretty! I think you did an amaaaazing job!!

Laura said...

Wrapping paper? Awesome idea. Love it.

Jenna said...

That looks AMAZING (especially for $20!). And I hear you on the growing piles of things with no homes...

Sundresses and Smiles said...

Mod Podge intimidates me a bit (I would def YouTube too!) by this looks awesome!

Laura said...

That turned out so great! You have a good eye for seeing possibility.